Saturday, September 7, 2013

Batches 13, 14 and 15

After a year and a half of being busy, I finally had some time & energy to try again.  Friend of mine started up making Macarons using "Macaron Magic" by Jialin Tang - he said it was somewhat like the Cooks Illustrated version of making macarons - author was a PhD scientist who tried to take the guess-work out, so I got the book and tried some recipes.

My thoughts:

  • Macaron Magic book is quiet detailed, lots of pictures, and tries to tell you what you're going for at every stage, so better than many.
  • Her "enhanced recipe" is pretty much the classic 1/1.3 ratio (1100g egg whites : 300g sugar + 75g water for meringue; 110g egg whites : 300g almond meal + 300g powdered sugar for wet dough base), except with some additional powdered egg-whites to help control moisture content.
  • It's not fool-proof - 1st batch as so-so, 2nd batch was great, 3rd batch was so-so again. It still comes down to "macaronage" (or what she calls a"quasi-meringue")
So - OK book, better for people starting off than those doing OK / pretty well so far. I still think the biggest problem is getting folks to understand the "molten lava" stage, and being ultra-consistent on a recipe (see below - I had a great batch with #14, and then left out something and added more liquid, and #15 shells weren't nearly as good)
  • Random #13 - I did 3 fillings to see what worked - Dried Apricot Jam w/ Southern Comfort (way too sweet), Fresh Berry Jam (very tasty, bit too sweet), and Caramel. 
  • Random #14 - wanted to offset sweetness somewhat, so added 1/2 teaspoon salt to the meringue (in addition to the 1/2 teaspoon dried egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar) and Vanilla seeds from 2 Vanilla pods. I also put in 1 teaspoon of Beanilla Amaretto flavor to the wet dough base, to pop the almond flavor some, and then did Calamansi Jam (from Honomu Jams, Big Island, Hawaii) with a Orange Blossom Swiss Butter Cream.  Great combo - little sweet still, but best macarons overall so far - consistent shells, nice flavor profile - lots of almond flavor, nice burst of citrus w/ the Calamansi, and then smooth buttercream with subtle floral highlights.
  • Random #15 - Decided I bought cream to make Ganache, so despite having some left-over Caramel Cream to use, I was going to make Ganache after all. The final macaronage was a bit wet, so the shells expanded horizontally, and ~60% of them were too merged to salvage into decent looking Macarons (and were promptly eaten as rejects, or made into funny looking macanots). Also have air-pocket underneath top shell, so I believe the extra wetness from adding 1 tablespoon vanilla extract + 1 teaspoon amaretto flavor. And their a little sweet - I forgot to add the salt this time...
I think I can reproduce the shells from Random #14. I'm also changing my print-out grid of 1.25" circles - instead of trying to do 10x6 in staggered rows, and running into merging problems if their a little wet, I'm going to do 9x5 - 3 trays @ 10x6 gave me 180 shells, now it'll be 4 trays @ 9x5 for 180 shells. I've got 4 jelly-roll pans, but I think I'll buy 2 more, so I can do 2 trays at same time in oven w/ a extra pan below to keep the bottoms from cooking faster than the tops. 


4 comments:

  1. I have never felt so glad to have someone as my colleague! The Amaretto Macaron with Citrus Dark Chocolate Ganache just melted in my mouth!!
    I am having a tough time deciding if you would be better off as an engineering manager or a Macaron chef!! Thanks a ton 
    Anu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Anu!

      Better to give lots of them away than to have all those tasty calories sitting at home :)

      Delete
    2. Can I buy truckloads of these from you? PLEASE!
      Technically, we don't work together so I am sure it must be legally OK etc etc...no?
      After eating your macaroons, I am having these uncontrollable cravings especially in the weekends and I drove three times all the way to Whole Foods to fulfill my cravings.. And they didn't come close to what you made !! Yes yet I drove down three times :-( But I am SERIOUS! Please take orders from us! PLEASE!
      PS: You should be glad I don't have your address, else I am pretty sure I will be knocking at your door every couple of hours or so... :-)

      Delete
  2. Hey John!!

    Do you have a recipe written down? Something like "macarons for dummier 101".. along those lines? If not, could you please point me to good cookbooks/websites?
    Time for me to venture into the scary world of macaron making! :-)
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete