Monday, September 23, 2013

Random 16 - 1 Step Forward, 2 Steps Back

Had some ripe bananas last weekend, but didn't feel like making macarons, but decided to get off my butt and at least make Jialin Tian's Banana Rum Caramel Ganache.  Boy - that's a tasty combo - different flavors at different times (rum up-front, than banana & caramel sweetness, than the chocolate richness comes thru).

So - this weekend, I decided to make the shells. Using the extra jelly-roll pans & silpats I had, so it'd go faster. What a disaster - first batch I cooked too hot and too long - by the half-way point, the lower tray were small volcanoes, and the upper tray fared better, but ~40% of them had expanded horizontally and merged.

2nd batch I moved up the oven racks a notch, lower the temp some, and lowered the time. But - oven was still to warm, and I think there wasn't enough airflow, so lower tray was still volcanoes, and I ended up under-cooking them a bit, trying not to toast the 2nd half of the batch.

Ended up w/ only ~30 "respectable" looking macarons, so I filled them and and a few macawrongs for home consumption, and brought 2 dozen into work today.

Because the filling is so "wow", I think they'll still be enjoyed, but I definitely need to get back to good / reliable shells.  Funny - I think part of the problem was that I was using the "fool-proof" recipe from Macaron Magic, but forgot that I had lowered the heat / increased the baking time, but this time I forgot to lower the heat... Which just goes to show you, at least from my opinion, making macarons fool-proof is 3 things -
  1. Experience #1 - A good, reliable recipe (most of which is standing on the shoulders of others)
  2. Experience #2 - learning what "right" looks like during the macaronage 
  3. Experience #3 - your kitchen - in this case, my oven. 
But, all in all, not-great shells with a really great filling are still pretty awesome!

2 comments:

  1. You are spoiling me, John!!!
    Whenever I come in dreading the pile of work that screams at me saying "finish me, pick me, no me first"... your macaron puts a smile on my face and I am all set to tackle the day... and thoughts of quitting and running away from all problems vanish magically :-)
    Thank you for that!
    Sincerely!
    Anu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) glad to make you smile, Anu. I think I tried to respond before from my Android, and obviously, I'm not very good that yet!

      Delete